Thursday, March 17, 2011

Kelsey Forster: Coolest Girl I Know


Today is St. Patrick's Day, but more importantly, it is the birthday of my very best friend, Miss Kelsey Forster. Kelsey and I have been best friends since the first grade. Well, we are now in the sixteenth grade, so fifteen years, and going strong! We are going out tonight, so a few minutes ago I wrote her this poem:


Happy Birthday Kelsey,

You've always been a friend to me,

And so tonight beside the sea,

We'll drink together happily,

And if holding your hair is a job to be,

I hope that lucky bitch is me.


Masterful as it is, that is not all I have to say about Kelsey. She is the best kind of friend, and I'm so lucky to have her. And so, in honor of Kelsey and all her glorious Kelsiness: I am using today's blog as a forum for delightful Kelsey anecdotes. Anyone who knows her is welcome to add Kelsey-filled comments to this Kelsey tribute.


Without further ado, a Becky-Kelsey Tale:

Every Friday the 13th, Kelsey and I watch scary movies. It started around age nine when we stumbled across the movie Killer Klowns From Outerspace on television, and both thought ourselves way too cool not to watch it. The only problem was, of course, Kelsey really was too cool not to watch it, where as I was completely terrified. I had nightmares about alien clowns from then, way into my teen years.

In any case, we got through it and so a tradition was born. Every year, we'd get a little older, and the movies would get a little scarier. Kelsey the stoic, and I the huge wuss. One year she casually fell asleep during the climax of What Lies Beneath! So calm cool and collected. Kelsey was off dreaming of sunshine and puppies, while I was forced to sit alone, looking through my hands at Han Solo doing terrible things. Again it was confirmed that Kelsey is simply way cooler than me.

And so it went for years, until we were eighteen. Coincidentally, this was the first year I decided to bring a date (just in case Kelsey tried any of that sleeping funny business) and he was pretty into the idea of a scary movie. Our selection was Jeepers Creepers. Jeepers Creepers!!! Who the heck made that movie?? Barely ten minutes in, I hit pause. I thought I could pretend I was being coy, maybe make a hilarious joke at the expense of one of the characters on screen… they saw right through me. And yet, miraculously, Kelsey was not bothered, she too looked very shaken, and for the first time I realized that she was scared too!

We watched the rest of the film with the remote sitting between us so either of us could hit pause when necessary and we could let our suspense-endurance bar reload. Since then, I believe the scariest movie we've sat through was Young Frankenstein, and so the tradition continues.


Happy St Patrick's Day and St Kelsey Day!

3 comments:

  1. i remember this one time, kelsey and i were behind enemy lines in nazi germany. we were searching for the lovechild of ben roethlisberger and mary tyler moore, whom had been kidnapped by soviet scientists for her shark-like cancer repellent bone marrow. on a detour resulting from a bogus tip regarding her whereabouts, we parachuted into a lovely village and abandoned our mission when we discovered the sweet serenity of dutch folk music. we reveled in its melodic simplicity and basso joyfulness. for nearly forty-three years, each armistace day, we return to that small village and play a free concert in the square whilst the locals clog to their simple country hearts' desire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man there is no getting rid of that little brat! Just kidding! MIss Kelsey is one of my favorite people. Since you both were in the first grade and Kelsey would come over with her pony tail and cute little freckles and the house would fill with the sounds of you girls giggling, till day before yesterday when Kelsey came over with her pony tail and cute little freckles and the house filled with the sounds of you girls giggling! Love that girl! You don’t get to pick your daughter’s best friend but if you did I would pick you Kelsey! My daughter from another mother!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Friend. Great Kid. Does get scared. Remember Dad (me) pounding on the slider during "What Lies Beneath" wow two girls on tip toes on the couch clutching each other and screaming then wanting to kick me and have me promise to never do that again so far kept my promise. Kelsey is awesome even after being scared both she and Becky laughed about it. Great times are remembered by the laughs and giggles. We love you and you will always be a second daughter to us. Thank you for being you. Happy Birthday Day Kelsey

    ReplyDelete