Thursday, January 13, 2011

Goodbye to a Friend

Almost exactly a year ago, I embarked on an adventure that was life changing. I went to Chicago to learn comedy from the people who knew it best. Second City Chicago: the place to be. While I was there, I had several teachers truly impact me, one of which was Mary Scruggs. Everyone loved Scruggs, it was impossible not to. She was sweet and caring, with a sharp sense of humor that would leap out at any moment, and an easy laugh that made me and my fellow college comedians all too happy with ourselves.

She was a great teacher, and instilled a confidence in me that I'd never dared to have in my writing before. She built me up from the beginning, and when I got too pleased with myself brought me back to Earth. Such was her gift, to keep her students right where they needed to be. She had a profound impact on me as a writer, and I am certain that is the case of the many many people she taught.

Today spread the news that Mary is no longer with us. Though taken too young, it is inspiring to reflect on all she accomplished and the many people she impacted. I am very happy to have known Mary the time that I did, and with a heavy heart wish her all the best in her adventures after the life in which I knew her.

No comments:

Post a Comment